I assumed it would be a long process, and that I was just one of many asking for this opportunity. That's how it was when I tried out at the church I went to post-college and pre-engagement. (I've been church hopping since Baylor Graduation...glad to settle down, finally!) Granted, it was a huge church, and I was just one of a zillion trying out. I assumed it would be like that all over again. I'd been burned a little bit, so I was more than a little hesitant to put myself out there again. (I just noticed there was a lot of assuming on my part going on. You know what they say about those who assume!)
I was also a little hesitant about giving up my Wednesday nights. Sounds selfish, I know--just being honest. It's been a while since I've had something consistent on my schedule. I'm really enjoying just going with the flow. But at some point, I realized I needed to get over it. After all, chances are high that I'd benefit more from giving it up once a week than not giving it at all.
I sent an email right after I watched The Voice a few weeks ago. I couldn't stand not singing anymore. I decided to suck it up and ask what was involved. Within two hours, I recieved a response back, with exclamation points, telling me about the audition process and how low-key it was, and that they'd love to have me. They didn't even know me!
I went this past Wednesday night and ended up having a connection with the director and the accompanist from my high school days at TCA. Small world. I sang "Revelation Song" and got to belt it out. They had an alto spot open up for Sunday, and asked me to fill it, moments after I'd opened my mouth to sing. I spent three hours on Wednesday night singing my little heart out, surrounded by new friends.
It's been a very long time, I realized, since I've been around a group of all new faces. I was floored by their kind introductions, the truly genuine "Glad you're here!" comments, and overall excitement that I'd joined the choir and the praise team.
I hope this gives you a little encouragement to try something new or to try something again, even if it didn't work out the first time. Singing gives me some of my most joyful moments. I encourage you to find something that brings you joy and go for it. I promise it'll make you smile!
{Side note: This photo was taken in 2010 at Natalie's wedding in Austin. I knew Adam was "it" when he drove me down there on Friday so he could be my date to the rehearsal dinner, and drove back Saturday afternoon to get back for work. He didn't even get to stay for the dancing and wedding cake, but he knew it was important to me. Pretty sure he didn't know we'd get married then, but I sure did!!}
That is such exciting news!! They are lucky to have you!
ReplyDelete