Thursday, May 3, 2012

March for Babies Surprises!

A few weeks ago, we not only survived March for Babies week, it was a wonderful day!

The week was full of nice surprises.  The first being that AMP's best friend and former roommate, Dave, just happened to be coming through town from Iowa.  He wasn't able to make it down for our wedding, and I hadn't had the chance to meet him or his wife yet.  The guys reminisced about old times and caught up.  It was fun to see them interact together.  We grilled out and had a great time.
Dave's a long-haul truck driver, so we thought a home-cooked meal would be more appealing than going out to eat. I think it was a success!  (But how can you go wrong with a T-Bone steak?!)

Friday was set-up day at the walk, which means making very important decisions like where the Port-a-potties go.  This was the first of many of my decisions that day.  Mind you, it was also the same day that Adam called to tell me they'd found Rye.  (Like I said, lots of decisions!!)

See the gray clouds?  Yeah...it poured on us.  But the weather just had to get it out of its system because it turned into a beautiful, sunny Saturday!

The FedEx Race Car, Number 11, is decked out for March for Babies and was at our walk.  

This sweet couple tours around the country with it March to November.  I told AMP that would be a fun job for us to do someday!  :-)

One thing I'm not sure Adam realized when we got married was that he would automatically become part of the March of Dimes.  Ha.  He came straight from work to the walk and worked the Catering Drop.  He was giving directions, directing people where to park and keeping his cool--a very important task for this high-stress day-of job!  He was a huge help, and I was so glad to have him out there.  

I called out to ask him something as he was walking away, and this was the response I got, totally unintentionally.  Can you tell he was on his way to the bathroom?


Me and my Man!

I had my co-worker, Kathy, spend the night with me since we're so close.  It would've been an hour and a half drive for her before 5 a.m.  I was really thankful she was there, though, because I didn't hear my alarm.  She came in my room at five minutes 'til five (surprise!), and I was sound asleep!  I jumped out of bed, grabbed a hat and pulled on my clothes.  It was quite the jolt to my morning!
I also woke up with no voice.  And it lasted all day long.  That never happens...again with the surprises.

Seeing 30,000 people cross under the Start/Finish Line is one of the best parts of the day.  All our hard work is paying off!

I had some sweet friends come out and support March for Babies, too!  It really meant so much that they were there!
{Rachel--Claire's current roomie, me, SMoo and Claire}

{Mom, Dad, Me, Kelley, Drew, Vicki & Gerald}

More of my people!  I went and visited all my other corporate teams so that I could spend the most time in the EY tent.  Kelley was a great help in getting the EY team logisitics--it helps to know people on the inside!  My Dad and I have been doing this walk for years, and I was so glad to have my mom come out and see everything. 

We have been building up our group of volunteers to help with everything from set up to clean up.  The first year I worked here, we weren't home until nearly 7 p.m.  We were cleaning up everything up ourselves.  Now, we have a youth group of volunteers to come just for clean up, and they are amazing. I was home, showered and in bed for a nap at 3 p.m.  Love it!

So here's to year three at the March of Dimes--may it be the best yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment