Sunday morning (Mother's Day), we set out for a five hour car ride North to Bar Harbor, Maine. Adam has wanted to go to Acadia National Park since High School, and we were close, so we rented a car and headed up there.
We love stopping at little delis in small towns. We stopped in Portsmouth at Middle Street Market and Deli for some fresh turkey and ham sammies.
We arrived at our cute little B & B that AMP found online called the Maples Inn.
It was incredibly quaint and welcoming. The innkeeper, Mark, was very helpful and quite chatty. We learned a lot about inn keeping and how it works.
(photo from Maples Inn site)
We walked down the block to the center of town and looked in a few shops. Some of them were closed for the day already, but we scouted places to visit again. It's early in the season, so some of the shops and restuaurants were opening the following week, but there was lots to see anyways. We saw the harbor and later learned that cruise ships come here a lot in the summer for day trips. We understand why--it's a great place!
We grabbed dinner at Poor Boy's, and I decided to order my first lobster. They had a great deal that offered clam chowder, several sides along with the lobster and a brownie a la mode. I knew that if I didn't care for the lobster, I'd at least have plenty of food to eat still, and hello...you can't go wrong wtih a brownie!
So here I am with my lobster, at which point I kindly asked for instructions on how to eat this thing.
And then the photos of me following the waitresses instructions. There was a lot of,
"You want me to twist what??" and "Oh my gosh what is that??"
and "Eww."
Adam, who doesn't care for any sort of seafood, offered to pull the meat out of the tail. I think he figured out pretty quickly that I wasn't going to be doing that!
And what was left of my lobster... a lot.
Lobster is work to eat. Gee whiz. I cracked the claws open and got that meat out, but that was about it. I like seafood, too, but whenever I've eaten lobster, it's been mixed in and seasoned with other goodness, so this was just too plain to me. But hey, we went to Maine, and I had a lobster! Mission accomplished.
We chose to book the White Birch room because of two reasons...
it had a fireplace...
and a canopy bed...
(photo from Maples Inn site)
After dinner, we sat by the fire and read. It seems like Adam always captures me reading under a blanket on vacation! It's my happy place.
In contrast, here's Adam's happy place!
He got up (on vacation) at 6:30 a.m. to go run some trails in Acadia National Park, which was about a five minute drive from our B&B.
He made it back for breakfast, where we were served Quiche, fresh fruit and sausage. (It was the "savory" day. Our second morning we had pineapple upside down french toast for the "sweet" day!)
We went to the Sand Beach, which is the only beach on the island. It was a little gray and foggy, but not too bad at this point.
I'd planned to hike with AMP, like we've done together before. What I didn't account for was my killer headache, the LARGE ROCKS we'd be scaling and the RAIN. (Ok...it sprinkled, but hello. Just my luck and we'd get up there and it'd be pouring.)
I got to some rocks and found a perch, much to Adam's dismay.
Clearly those sunglasses say I'm ready for a hike, right?
Wrong.
I turned around and went back down, across the beach and got in the car, where I read, while it rained. (And it more than sprinkled.) Adam came back about 30-45 minutes later. We were both happy doing our own thing. :-)
Later, while I went to the spa (again...my kind of vacation!), Adam hiked around and saw some more beautiful sites.
That night, we grabbed dinner at McKay's, a pub nearby.
The next morning, we ate that delicious french toast breakfast, talked to the innkeeper, Mark, some more and headed out, hitting a few local shops on our way out.
I found my favorite Moose...
We drove five hours back to Boston, stopped at the L.L. Bean outlet on our way, and met up with Troy in the city. We treated to graduate to dinner and got to catch up with him more one-on-one. It was a delicious and fun dinner!
Stripe Siblings...
Love them!
We stayed near the airport and hit up Dunkin' Donuts on our way out. It was good, but I'll stick with Starbucks!
We flew Spirit airlines on the way back, and it was completely the opposite of Jet Blue. They nickel and dime you for everything. Literally. You paid for a checked bag, and you pay for a carry on bag. You pay for sodas and snacks, too. By the time it's all said and done, I think we would've ended up about the same cost and a much more positive experience with Jet Blue!
By the time we got our luggage (which took 45 minutes) and to our car (another 45 minutes), I was quite hangry. (Hungry + angry), so we stopped at Chick-fil-A. I felt that this was worthy of documenting because ADAM HAD NEVER BEEN TO CHICK-FIL-A, y'all. He ordered a grilled chicken sandwich and prounced it "really good."
We were oh-so-excited to pick up Rye Dog. We really missed our pup! It made coming home from vacation less of a bummer, for sure. It's really nice to get away, but when you have a puppy dog waiting who jumps up and is so excited to see you, coming hime is a treat, too!


Never been to Chick fil a....a crime!!
ReplyDelete