During the crazy happenings of March for Babies week back in April, we also sold the 4Runner. As if we needed something else to do! My parents graciously shared Troy's Yukon with us while I hunted for Etta the Jetta (also know around these parts in her German name, Etta ze Jjjjetta).
Did you know that finding a black Jetta with beige leather interior is the most uncommon combination to be made by VW? Apparently it's only 5%. Of course I would pick such a combo. Finding one with the right mileage, right price, and right color turned out to be a rather long process. Five weeks after selling the 4Runner, we got Etta just before Memorial Day!
My very first car I learned to drive was a VW Passat, and I really enjoyed it. I'd been thinking about getting a car since early February, so really, this research project has taken quite a long time! I think I appreciate Etta even more knowing that now.
The buying process was one we hope not to have to relive again anytime soon. Dealerships questioned our every move, and they totally underestimated our determination to stick to our budget!
AMP and I had a set $$ amount we didn't want to go over, and they tried anything and everything to get us to budge, even offering us a great deal on a 2012 model, but in the long run, we'd have paid WAY more than the parameters we had set for ourselves. It was a great lesson in standing our ground and continuing to learn to make decisions together. (And Dad said later that's a technique they teach their people at work...so we must've learned it from him by osmosis or something!)
We had to call in the reinforcements at around 10:15 p.m., when they tried to convince us not to put as much money down for the down payment as we'd planned. (I'm telling you, they literally tried to get us on all accounts!) Thankfully we got a hold of our favorite uncle/best banker and he helped us out. Again...we stuck with our original plan. Go team.
And, even better, I'm keeping it really clean inside, which is a plus. (If you've seen my cars through the years, it generally looks as though I'm living out of them.)
So instead of a two-SUV, two four-wheel-drive family, we are now a more
economically friendly family with a truck to haul stuff and a fun, zippy car with great gas mileage.
Woohoo!
No comments:
Post a Comment