Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Preparing for Easter



I only know it's Ash Wednesday because yesterday was Fat Tuesday.  Ha.  Since I grew up Baptist, and now we go to a Bible church, Lent is not something I've observed before.  In the past, I've considered giving up something I really love, like Dr. Pepper, but I think it would just make me grumpy.  :-)  And I tried it once in college and didn't get too far when I saw it was Sonic Happy Hour time.

That being said, I really like the idea of preparing our hearts for Easter, though, just like preparing for Christmas with Advent. 

I signed up for a daily Lent Devotional email in my inbox from Redeember Presbyterian, where Pastor Tim Keller preaches.  (My fam loves them some Tim Keller.  My parents have visted his church a few times while in NYC, and he's a great writer and speaker, covering a wide variety of Biblical topics.  He does a great series on marriage that's really insightful.)

A couple of other sites with helpful Lent resources are below:
Easter Devotional Download (free) from Ann Voskamp, one of my favorite authors. (She wrote One Thousand Gifts, about counting her thanksgivings and the difference it's made.)

All things Hendrick has a list of several books and sites that cover a wide variety of ages.  This is where I found the Redeemer Presbyterian devotional recommendation.


I suppose it's not good to end this post with "Happy Ash Wednesday," huh?  Signing off.

1 comment:

  1. I definitely agree with you! This year, my pastor has charged our church to instead of giving up something, add something to your life by reading the New Testament. Here is the schedule if you're interested:

    Wednesday, February 22 Matthew 1-4
    Thursday, February 23 Matthew 5-12
    Friday, February 24 Matthew 13-20
    Saturday, February 25 Matthew 21-27

    Sunday, February 26
    Monday, February 27 1 Peter
    Tuesday, February 28 II Peter, 1 John
    Wednesday, February 29 II John, III John, Jude
    Thursday, March 1 Revelation 1-7
    Friday, March 2 Revelation 8-14
    Saturday, March 3 Revelation 15-22

    Sunday, March 4
    Monday, March 5 John 1-7
    Tuesday, March 6 John 8-13
    Wednesday, March 7 John 14-19
    Thursday, March 8 Acts 1-7
    Friday, March 9 Acts 8-14
    Saturday, March 10 Acts 15-20

    Sunday, March 11
    Monday, March 12 Acts 21-28
    Tuesday, March 13 Romans 1-7
    Wednesday, March 14 Romans 8-12
    Thursday, March 15 Romans 13-16
    Friday, March 16 1 Corinthians 1-7
    Saturday, March 17 Catch up Day!

    Sunday, March 18
    Monday, March 19 I Corinthians 8-16
    Tuesday, March 20 II Corinthians 1-6
    Wednesday, March 21 II Corinthians 7-13
    Thursday, March 22 Galatians
    Friday, March 23 Ephesians
    Saturday, March 24 Philippians, Colossians

    Sunday, March 25
    Monday, March 26 I Thessalonians, II Thessalonians
    Tuesday, March 27 I Timothy
    Wednesday, March 28 II Timothy, Titus
    Thursday, March 29 Philemon, Hebrews 1-6
    Friday, March 30 Hebrews 7-13
    Saturday, March 31 James

    Sunday, April 1 (Palm Sunday)
    Monday, April 2 Mark 1-7
    Tuesday, April 3 Mark 8-15
    Wednesday, April 4 Luke 1-8
    Thursday, April 5 Luke 9-16
    Friday, April 6 Luke 17-23
    Saturday, April 7 Matthew 28, Mark 16 (vv. 1-8), Luke 23, John 20-21

    ReplyDelete