Saturday, September 20, 2014

September Visitors!

We ended up getting two sets of overnight guests in September, and I am so thankful!  Mom found a great deal and offered to come the third week in September.  It was a quick trip--only 44 hours--but we made great use of our time together!  It was just what my little heart needed, and I'm so thankful that she came.

I picked mom up about 9 p.m. on Tuesday night, and we stayed up until midnight talking.  Adam was still awake when we got home, and so we all three hung out.  Mom brought a toy just for Rye, and of course, he loved it.

Mom offered to cook for us on Wednesday night, but I asked if she would treat us to dinner instead!  Since most nights are spent cooking & then cleaning up the kitchen, I thought it would be more enjoyable to go out to dinner.  We went to Carrabba's and enjoyed every bit of it.



This seems to happen with all of my friends, but when your mom comes to visit, they find things that you just "need," and then proceed to purhcase them for you.  It's a really great deal!  :-)  Mom and I had a ball shopping at Marshall's for the empty nook in the mudroom and also a few finishing touches on the mantle, where I'd just put a new mirror to help reflect more light.



And in case you're curious, Rye is definitely a fan of this happy little spot.  Isn't it cute?!


(These night time photos don't do it justice, but I think you'll get the idea.)




We headed back to the airport on Thursday afternoon, just after we'd found the chair for that corner.  (Phew!)  Mom's plane was delayed, so we stopped at Chili's near the airport to grab a bite to eat and get in a few more (thousand) words.  I loved every minute Mom was here, and I'm so glad she came to visit.  I only cried a little when she left, because we had more visitors coming in three short days!

Papa & Jonita arrived on Sunday afternoon, after they'd spent nearly a week in the Atlanta/Savannah/Hilton Head areas.  We had Austin & Rebecca over for dinner that night with them and enjoyed a great meal of grilled pork chops, thanks to chef Adam.

I think I get my night-owl-ness from Papa, because if I had it my way, I'd stay up 'til Midnight and sleep until 10.  Sunday night after everyone left, I played 5 Crowns, a new (to me) card game with Papa & Jonita.  Then, Papa and I stayed up and worked the USA Today crossword puzzle on his iPad together, and I snapped this selfie.  :-)  I called it a night at 1:30 a.m., but I'm not sure when Papa went to bed!

Yep, just hangin' out with Papa and his iPad!  Papa & Jonita are very tech-savvy, and they had a few questions for the grandkids, but they are way beyond basic things.  It's so fun to help them and be able to talk to that kind of stuff with them.

Monday, Austin invited us to lunch out at the PGA Headquarters/Sawgrass, which is where the Players Tournament is held each year.  Papa, Jonita and I joined Austin for lunch in the clubhouse and enjoyed time out on the patio.  It was fun to see Aussie in his work atmosphere, and we enjoyed having the four of us at lunch.  



Jonita saw me cooking the night before with old hot pads that were Adam's, so she wanted to take me to Bed, Bath & Beyond to get some new ones.  I did not object!  (I like the old ones because they're soft & broken in, but she had just gotten some new ones that were the Calphalon brand, and she assured me that they were really great.  Indeed, they are!  I'm enjoying using the new ones in our kitchen!)

Monday night, we went out to the lot where Austin & Becky are building their new home, and got to see where they'll be living.  It was great to see the other houses in the neighborhood and see all the different finishing choices they'll have.  They're on a great corner lot, and I know their home will be beautiful.  






We finished the evening at Salt Life for dinner, where I'd never eaten before, and it was delicious!  I love this group shot of all six of us.  A year ago,  I couldn't even imagine this as an option, and look...here we are, in Jacksonville!


Papa & Jonita left on Tuesday to go back home, and I will say that I cried a lot more after they left.  (No offense, Mom!)  I think I'd just been on a "visitor high" and it hit me that I didn't have anyone coming, and plans to attend Baylor Homecoming were a good six weeks away.  But I got over it and time has flown by.  I'm so grateful for our visitors and the fun that we had!


No comments:

Post a Comment