Papa and I were able to grab a last-minute lunch together last week at the Local Diner. I took this shot of him while he wasn't looking. Surprise, Papa! (He reads the blog. It makes my day, especially when he calls to talk about it.)
We have so much fun together, and I'm so blessed to have him nearby. Have I mentioned that he's 80? And just as spry as ever. {Also...this may be one of my favorite photos I've taken, ever.}
We talked about many things under the sun, but one conversation has stuck with me this past week. There was a Studebaker sign on the wall, which started him reminiscing about the car he bought for Nanny when they moved back to Lubbock. This prompted an entire discussion on kids, and the fact that there were no seatbelts in the 50s--Nanny, Mom and Laura just all rode in the front seat together (a bench seat, at that). There were also no car seats. Yes, no car seats. Can you imagine trying to drive tp the grocery store with a baby in the car, just laying there? I sure can't. What if she rolled off? What happens when they are mobile?! Yikes.
And somehow it turned to baby diapers. Yes, really. I'd never really thought about this, but something made me ask. Apparently they used a cloth diaper service while in Tampa, Florida, which means that someone was paid to come pick up a bag of dirty diapers (talk about world's dirtiest jobs), and then disposable diapers when they moved to Lubbock. Papa was surprised to learn that cloth diapers were coming back "in style," if you will.
It was a fun time together, and we both enjoyed it.
And in other news this week, Adam got his first request for a PA school interview! It's about seven weeks out. He just finished the applications at the end of June. Apparently July flew by (probably because we had July 4th and a Guatemala trip in there!), and here we are sitting in August. With an interview. It's all very exciting!
Four of the eight schools he applied to have rolling admissions, so we could know something in September or October, as far as more interviews, and a few more are later in the year. We're praying we have enough notice to get a decent price on a flight, or they have tickets on miles still available at a reasonable price. We shall see.
My philosophy is to celebrate everything, so that's exactly what we did last night with a pumpkin bread muffin! Complete with a candle. Even Rye got a taste. (That's becoming a bad habit. Oops.)
Happy Friday, y'all!


No comments:
Post a Comment