Saturday, August 17, 2013
Dear Pops
Dear Pops,
We said goodbye to you on Tuesday, but you entered Heaven's Gates on Sunday morning. I imagine you were in your Sunday best: a suit and tie, as usual.
Family, friends and previous co-workers came out of the woodwork to honor your legacy and the great father, grandfather, uncle, friend, boss and so much more that you were. Dad very much wanted to honor your legacy, and he and mom worked together to achieve that. It was a sweet, sweet time.
Adam met you just once, but for that time, I am so grateful. The last time we saw you was at our wedding, when you smiled the entire time. That weekend, we ate Blue Bell Vanilla Ice Cream together (your favorite), held hands on the couch, and I showed you photos of our house we'd soon be moving into. The yard was a mess, but you laughed and encouraged us that we could make it pretty. And we've greatly improved upon what we were given, but it's nothing compared to your beautiful box woods and glorious garden. I love knowing that you were a Master Gardener. You had a gift of nurturing and making things grow.
I have no doubt in my mind that you loved us. But if I did, it would be immediately erased when family and friends greeted us while we were in Virginia. They reminded us over and over again that we were all the apple of your eye.
It has been over ten years since I visited your home of Virginia. Dad and I both have a tendency to romanticize the past, but seeing it through the fresh eyes of Adam, a first time visitor to the South, I was reminded again of the beauty--lush trees, tobacco plants growing and beautiful countryside. I can see why you never strayed far from your South Boston, Virginia roots.
From you, we have seen endless amounts of love, generosity and faithful, quiet service. Friends of over 50 years spoke at your service of the many times they would find you up at church, willing to do anything. They also spoke of your twinkle-eyed grin and your competitive nature as you caught fish and may have even double-counted a fish or two!
The Coconut Cream Cake that Dinks was so famous for is the same cake that she served Mom on her first visit to Virginia with Dad. What Dinks didn't know was that coconut makes Mom gag. It's been a family joke for 30 years, but I learned that the coconut was freshly shredded by you. Who knew? I know Mom cherishes having you as a father-in-law. You are a true gift.
On Tuesday, I sang your favorite hymn, Living for Jesus, and it was an honor to do so. Thank you for showing us how to truly live for Him. Troy and I sang Amazing Grace together, and I couldn't help but imagine you up in Heaven singing along. We finished up with a 21 gun salute to honor your World War II service. It gave me chills then, and gives me chills now thinking about it again.
We love you dearly, sweet Pops. I am so grateful to share your first name and my Dad's middle name. It is a joy and an honor to be your granddaughter.
Much Love,
Shay Meredith
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment