I look back at our 2013 Guatemala trip photos often. I can't stop thinking of the people we know and love there. This year, more than last, our Guatemalans have nestled their way even further into our hearts.
The trip wasn't easy, but it was good. It was warm. We sweat a lot. I think if Satan had his way, there would've been many more things to go wrong, but we were covered in prayer daily, and it was a sweet time.
We were the only couple in our 20s there, so it was kind of odd to be in the middle like that--not in the youth, and not having kids of our own (neither of which I'd like to be in at this moment!). So we really tried to make friends of all ages. The hardest part was finding a place to sit at dinner. (Who do we sit with? What if they don't talk? Oh my gosh this is like high school cafeteria all over again. Or is that just me??? Ha.)
My parents dropped us off at the airport Friday, July 12 in the afternoon, and graciously took care of Rye dog for us all week. We made the flight to Miami before connecting to Guatemala City. It was a long day with several delays, but we made it to our hotel and had hot water. I was immensely grateful.
Saturday we traveled via buses to Rio Hondo, a curvy 2.5 hour bus ride. We made it without any glitches and got ready around camp for the rest of the afternoon.
Sunday morning was our church service, with three Guatemalans being baptized and two from our home church. I was baptized in a family friends' pool when I was 10, so this time is always really special to me.
We'd forgotten how beautiful the area is. Can you spot the sunscreen in my backpack? You better believe in the opposite pocket was the Deet bug spray!
As I mentioned earlier, it was definitely different going back a second time, because we knew more what to expect, and there were so many familiar faces. We've been sponsoring three boys from the area to help them be able to go to school. For a small amount of money (to us), they are provided a great benefit. It's really humbling to think about. We decided not to tell them we were their sponsors, as we didn't want them to feel "beholden" to us, or anything. AMP and I just made a point to get to know them and visit with them throughout the week. It was like being a Secret Santa but way more fun.
Sunday afternoon, kids who've faithfully attended the AWANAS program, (learning scripture), get new shoes. This is Nery, one of our sponsored kids, as he got new shoes that day. The coolest thing was that Nery's grandmother saw this photo on the last night at the celebration slide show and came and found me. She identified herself as Nery's grandmother and we talked a lot about her precious little one (via translator!). I asked how he was doing in school, and if he was a good boy for her. She lit up when talking about him.
Sunday evening, we hosted a new event for families to come and get a family photo taken of them. We gave them a printed photo on the celebration night at the end of the week--a first for many families. This was a way to help our full-time missionary friends there put together names and faces and be able to track families for the first time. It was a huge success, with over 75 families coming, all of various ages.
This grandmother cared for her to grandchildren and several more, but they didn't make it for the photo. The little boy, wearing the same shirt all week, found me each day and greeted me with the biggest smile. Melt my heart.
Monday through Thursday, we held camp at the farm. I got to be with my co-leader Brooke, again, and this time we had 11 and 12 year old girls. I was terrified they would have major attitudes. While there was some, they were really just sweet and giggly. On the second day, three of the girls admitted to being 14 years old, saying they really just wanted to come to camp, instead of the teen camp.
Speaking of teens, Adam was with that age group all week, and he is so much better with them than I am! He tended to find the teens who were always on the outskirts. He just has a heart for them, and many times I walked by the teen area to find him over to one side talking one-on-one with a teen guy.
This is Kevin, the oldest of five brothers. His dad used to be the mayor of the town, and we have mixed reviews of how he is as a father and husband. He plays favorites with his sons, and Kevin doesn't fall in that category. It's a shame, though, because Kevin is a gem. He is also one that we help with school, and he helps Julio & Lucki (the Guatemalan Missionaries) a ton with all the church activities. I was able to talk with him (in Spanish!) and make him laugh about the fourth day or so. He's very reserved, so it was music to my ears!!
Fabricio was in my group last year. Still so very cute.
Melanie fell asleep in my arms Wednesday night. She just decided she couldn't keep her eyes open any longer. You better believe I just soaked this up.
Brooke and I got to meet up with our translator from last year, Johnny, and it was so great to see him!
This is Carlos, one guy who really took to Adam. He has the most infectious smile and was just a really happy guy.
Josselyn was in my group last year, and she just exudes this JOY all the time. It was so fun seeing her again, and each time she saw me during the week, I got the biggest hugs.
Samuel has really grown up in a year! He's still the little stinker that he was in our group last year, but just older. Is he not the cutest?
Thursday night was the celebration night, with skits, lots of songs with hand motions (I sang again in Spanish. It was fun!), and a long slide show with all the kids' photos. It's always hard to say goodbye on the last night, and this year was no exception. We finally loaded up the buses about 8:30 p.m. to go have dinner. Whew.
Friday we drove to Antigua, about a two-hour ride, to debrief and sight see. Adam and I wanted to just lay low, so we headed up to the area coffee plantation, where they have beautiful views and great coffee. I think it's safe to say we look pretty exhausted here, but it was the "good" kind of tired!
Saturday, we connected through Miami again, with a long wait in Customs, and it made us even more grateful to get home. Mom & Dad picked us up with Rye and Bella in the car, and Rye dog was so pleased to see us! He sat in (literally) Adam's lap for a while and then over to mine. We missed our buddy!
The nicest surprise was the food my parents had ready and waiting for us when we got to their house. Almost an entire weeks' worth of groceries, including bread, milk, fresh fruit (we craved it!), and three meals to get us through the week, plus two more for our freezer. Talk about a wonderful surprise! We finally went for our first full grocery run 10 days later. It was a huge blessing!!
So if you made it to the bottom of this post, thanks for reading. :-) And thank you for your prayers and financial support along the way!













No comments:
Post a Comment