Sunday, August 11, 2013

Adam's First Triathlon Sprint

August 11, Adam completed his first Triathlon Sprint.  We drove up Saturday morning to Degray Lake, just outside of Hot Springs, Arkansas.

This was Adam's first time to swim in open water, so he got in a good practice swim once we arrived. 

We stayed at our pet-friendly hotel, but without our pet.  We'd decided that it would be best to wait and see what a triathlon was like before we brought Rye along.  Now that we know what to expect, I think he will be just fine!


We set our alarm for 5:20 a.m. Sunday morning, and were up and raring to go!  The race began at 8 a.m., but there was a 30-minute drive ahead of us, plus set up time in the transition area.  Adam got all set up and was ready to start the race off with the swim.

He came out and said, "Man, I should've done the duathlon!"  Swimming may not be his strength, but he's working like crazy to improve.  And hey, he survived, which is winning in my book! 

Next up was the biking portion, which was 16 miles.  And it started UPHILL.


I made a friend with a dog during the swim, and he was there watching his wife, so we moved from post to post.  It was really helpful because I was totally clueless about where to stand and what to watch for, so I learned quite a bit.

Finally, the running portion came, which is where AMP really exceeds.  He finished fourth in his age group, but he started at the back of the pack when he got out of the water.  So he made up great time with the bike and the run.

All in all, Adam finished at 1 hour, 29 minutes and 48 seconds.  He was happy and I was really proud!

 
{That's sweat, not water...just in case you were curious.  Ha.}

Now he's in to this sport like it's his j-o-b.  Did you know that this is a rather expensive sport?  Way more than just buying running shoes!  But he's saving his pennies and searching out good deals for bike shoes and pedals.  He's gotten some great deals, and has searched long and hard for them.  

We also need to give a shout out to Coach Molly, who coached swim team and taught swim lessons to adults, for helping Adam improve his swimming.  We meet up at our gym where we all are members, and she gives AMP pointers, and she and I talk.  It's a win-win in my book!  

All that to say, it's been a great adventure on this triathlon journey so far.  I'm so proud of you, AMP!  Here's to working towards your Half Iron Man Triathlon!






No comments:

Post a Comment