Sunday, October 21, 2012

Paint Run 2012

One of the things on our list for 2012 has been to do a 5k together again.  {We haven't done one together since this one in 2010.}

We've been working out and running since then, of course, but no races.  So it was high time to do one!  We asked our church friends we made in Guatemala to do it with us, and only one decided to join us.  But we had fun doing it together and wearing our Guatemala Shirts in honor of our friends!



This was Andress's first 5k ever, and she did awesome.  Her hubby, Patrick, and their little boy Jack came to cheer us all on.  This race was super laid back--it didn't start until 10 a.m., and even then, they had a warmup that lasted about 20 minutes or so.



We ran around Bachman lake and played on the playground while we waited for the race to start.

And we're off!!  I'd like to think we're making faces at little Jack on the sidelines.  But who knows.

What I failed to mention earlier in this post is that it was a PAINT RUN.  
Yes, a PAINT RUN.  
As in, there's PAINT thrown at you--while you RUN.
I was fairly certain that it was going to be powdered paint.  
Boy, was I wrong.

It was WET PAINT that they slung on you with red solo cups dipped in big vats of paint.
And the paint was "edible," which is code for it stinketh like vomit.  

I must admit this race was not my finest moment, for many reasons.  First, I'd been sick the week before with bronchitis, so while I ran three times that week prior to the actual race day, I'd missed out on some vital training time.  3.1 miles running was a bit of a beast for me.  But I finished.  Praise the Lord.

Poor Adam would like me to insert that he was afraid for his life while he ran with me.  I kept looking at him saying, through clenched teeth, "I am so mad right now.  It's not even funny."  {And just for the record, I wasn't mad at him.  More mad at myself for not running like I wanted, and for signing up for a run with WET PAINT.}  But he ran right along side me and was encouraging the whole way.  Boy, did I luck out with him!  :-)


We finished, coming in at just under 40 minutes,  and yes, that's my wet shirt wadded up in my hand.  I couldn't handle running in it any more.  So about the last half a mile, I went without it and avoided the last paint station, too.  I'd had enough!  Adam coaxed me to smile for the camera at this point.  (Just keepin' it real!)

Afterwards, we got to go eat breakfast tacos with our friends.  A hot shower, clean and dry clothes, followed by delicious food was definitely the highlight of the day.

And I learned a valuable lesson: do some research on what kind of paint there is.  

No comments:

Post a Comment