Friday, October 5, 2012

'Dem Bones {School Update}


A common question I get these days is about Adam and his school work.  Lots of you have been so kind to ask.  I thought I'd take a minute just to brag on him and how well he's doing.  :-)  Right now, he's taking Anatomy & Physiology and also Organic Chemistry with a lab.

He is very disciplined and studies in three and four hour chunks several times a day when he's not working, and he also brings his books to work, if and when he has time to study.  We both marvel at his study skills, because he wasn't this way in college. (And neither was I!)

Currently, he's spending three weeks learning the skeletal system and recently informed me of every bone in my face.  I've learned that we have a bone in our throat that's not connected to anything else, and also that our scapulas in our backs aren't connected to anything either, which is how we can get such a full range of motion in our arms.  (See, I'm listening!)

So far, he's had two tests, which he ACED, and has another one on Friday.  Most of his class sessions are online, but he does have to go in once a week to do the lab part of O-Chem.  I asked him how he studied for that class, and he said he basically does all the practice problems, and then you will see many of them on the test.  Mind you, there are about 400 practice questions, so he's doing some serious studying.  Props to him, though, because if I did them, I guarantee you I would remember all of two questions.  Seriously.

And for the first time in his 27 years, AMP is having to keep a calendar, which makes me laugh.  I thought that should be documented, just for posterity.

***
On top of all of this, he's been taking really good care of me, as I've had bronchitis this week.  I'm not sure I've actually ever had it, but it's not too fun.  Thankfully, I've been able to work from home in the afternoons, which is nice because all I want to do is sit on the couch after about three hours of being in the office.  Hopefully I'll be on the mend soon! 

***

So that's the latest on school.  It looks like AMP will take the GRE when this semester is over, and then the application process to schools will be a focus for 2013.  Admissions opens in June and you find out later in the Fall. 

Thanks for the encouragement and questions you have.  It makes us feel very loved and supported as we navigate this next step!

1 comment:

  1. The Hyoid Bone! Haha - is that nerdy that I knew that? Thanks to grad school for that one..whew! I repect Adam for doing so well in his classes. That is some tough stuff! Keep up the hard work! :)

    ReplyDelete