Mom requested that we visit, with the promise of "bringing the guys some food!" she said. After I checked with Adam to make sure that would be ok, I told her to bring fruit (nothing sweet!), because they always have more sweets than they can eat. **So if you're ever in the mood to drop off food to your local firemen, consider fruit instead of cupcakes!**
This was the first time my family visited the station, so I asked AMP to give them a full tour, just like he would if they had regular school kids/guests. He was great at it, and provided lots of insight.
I wanted them to fully understand the amount of weight firefighters wear in a real fire. They held his bunkers (pictured above) and then also saw the air tank and mask he wears. All in all, it's about 50 extra pounds of weight. I always think this is astounding.
Adam explained all the levers, hoses and other contraptions on both the engine and the ambulance. My family wanted to know a lot of details, so they got a lot of information!
We love our Papa!
Because this way of life is a little "old hat" to me, I love when Adam can explain more about what he does on a regular basis, and I love seeing it through someone else's eyes. When I asked my family what they thought, I got responses like this:
"I had no idea they did all that. I love seeing his world."
"I could never do what he does on a regular basis."
"Wow, there's so much to think about."
I'm so glad we could share this with family and they could get a glimpse into Adam's world. Seeing all this prompted them to ask me if I was scared of Adam running into burning buildings. Thankfully, the Lord has given me an immense amount of peace in this, knowing that Adam is helping people, that his equipment protects him to a great degree, and that he is very smart about knowing when it would be time to get out of a situation. Also meeting the guys he works with gives me a sense of great gratitude knowing they have each others' backs. I am grateful for the protection the Lord has provided Adam so far, and I choose to keep trusting that He will take care of Adam.
These guys are all up for promotions this year, so prayers and good vibes for their success are always greatly appreciated. This will mean that they won't all be able to stick together after May or so, but we also don't know where we will be, come summer. But you know we'll keep you posted. :-)
Great post!
ReplyDelete