Wednesday, July 18, 2012

We're back from Guatemala!

We are home from Guatemala, and it was an incredible experience to serve together.  Social Media has made it pretty darn easy to share our experiences, so chances are, if you're reading this, you've already seen our daily Facebook Posts of what we did each day. 

Since the trip was so eye-opening for us, we are still processing all that we saw.  There is just so much poverty--both physically and spiritually--in the community of Rio Hondo.  BUT, the best part is that there is HOPE!  We saw first hand how the Awanas program and food kitchen are changing little lives and big lives in this area.  It's been a long 10 years, and it will continue to take many more before there is a huge change, but the best part was getting to meet someone who has been through the Awanas and discipelship program and is now in college.  His name is Armando, and he also serves at the church, giving back what he's been given. 

In an effort to mentally go through what we've seen, I'm hoping to do a series of posts about other small things that I learned on this trip that I didn't post on Facebook.  There were certainly many!

It's a challenge going back to this life of luxury, knowing what our Guatemalan friends live like, but our hearts are changed and our eyes are on the bigger picture now.  I'm not really sure how to go about posting about "regular life," because I don't want to seem like we went on a mission trip and then came back and didn't change.  We did.  So finding balance is the key.  I'll let you know if I find it.  Ha.

Here's the recap letter we sent to those on our email list...

No comments:

Post a Comment