Monday, July 30, 2012

AMP in Guatemala

 
 By far, one of my favorite parts of our Guatemala was watching AMP serve there with the kids and teens.  I've seen him with the boys several times, but nothing like this, where patience and high-energy was required every day.  It was so fun to observe!

Adam has always had a soft spot for those who struggle with physical and mental challenges.  Brario (in blue), captured his heart this time.  He's been at the camp for a long time, and his family comes every year.  He is very sweet natured, and with the help of the translator, Adam was able to get to know him.

 You can see the little kids out here on the field where they played games all morning.  I'm convinced it was about 15 degrees hotter out there than anywhere else at camp!  And Adam and the games team were out there for hours on end.  Despite that, he always had a smile and more than enough energy to show the kids how to play the water games and ultimate frisbee.

On Thursday, some of us went to a school nearby.  We did two programs for older and younger kids.  Keep in mind there are no window units or AC, so as the morning came to a close, it became quite warm inside.  We slipped out the back during the program and talked with the kids that were out there eating lunch and having recess.  


We had lots of spanish songs with hand motions.  I caught AMP doing this one at the school!!


And of course, as a paramedic, I knew he'd be helping with any number of ailments that our group had, but it was really great to see him in action.  I don't often get to see his "work side," and he is incredibly tender, a great listener and very knowledgeable on how to care for so many things that come up.  


No comments:

Post a Comment