The first thing I heard about the attacks on the World Trade Center in New York was in my second period biology class. I had just come from choir, and there were two guys in my class that typically said idiotic things. So when I heard them say, "The World Trade Centers have been hit." I thought they were being ridiculous. And then I quickly realized that they were actually telling the truth. And then my biology teacher confirmed it.
I remember after biology that we had chapel, which was one of my favorite parts of the day. (Maybe because wasn't actually in class?!) As I look back, I am more and more grateful to have been able to go to a Christian school where we were able to pray. Right then.
The rest of the day was a blur. I just remember that our counselor and assistant principal pulled a TV out of their office and plugged it in under the stairwell in the main entryway. There were students hovered around the TV the rest of the day. Remember how they played the images over and over and over again? I do.
I remember coming home and finding my dad there in his study. They'd evacuated all the buildings downtown, just in case. And we sat in his office and continued to watch. That night, I remember watching President Bush speak on our TV upstairs in the game room.
I remember feeling very American. Very united. Very prayerful. And I remember hugging my family a little tighter that night.
What do you remember?

No comments:
Post a Comment