Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Finding my Sweet Spot

I have some major catching up to do from the 4th quarter of 2014, but I did want to pop in to our blog today and write this down so I don't forget it.  I told Adam tonight at dinner that today felt like I'd found my sweet spot.  Today I was able to do the things that I'm best at, all in one day, right here in our community.

It's as if, after eight months of living in a new place, I can say, "Ok!  This is why I'm here!"  And I'm grateful for it and don't want to forget it.  So it's with a grateful and humble heart that I write these things down.



Church Meets Social Media
First, I went to a meeting at our church here in Jax.  Our pastor had asked me if I would come in and talk to the staff about how to utilize social media effectively.  I prepared a presentation and came in ready with suggestions and best practices for their social media outlets.  (It's a service I offer to my paying clients called "The Vault."  It's definitely business, but it makes me giggle to have such an official name.)

It was cool to be taken seriously for my job.  (I know that the people who hire me take me seriously, but because I don't see them in person on a regular basis, it's always a bit of a surprise to me.)  I love our church, and I love helping them out.  The staff is very cool, and I enjoy being around them, so that was a great way to start the day.  (Plus they had donut holes.  #winning)

Then I came home to work from home, which I love, and got to check off several items on my to do list.  Feeling productive is invigorating!

Social Work & Fighting the System
There are a few of us at church who have taken this lady named Kathy under our wing.  She just started coming to our church about four months ago and came up to one of our pastors after the service to ask how to become a Christian.  We've been working with her on studying the Bible, social cues, and my good friend Becca helped her get a job at Publix (my favorite grocery store).

We've celebrated each step of the way with her, and it's amazing to see how unconditional love can be lapped up for the first time.  Kathy's nearly 60, and she's had more than her share of tough situations in her life.  To top it all off, her mother has Alzheimer's.  I have a special place in my heart for families dealing with dementia and Alzheimer's.  I know firsthand that it is a horrible disease.

I've been working on getting Kathy's mom some care, as Kathy isn't quite "all there" to do it herself, plus I've seen that it's incredibly draining to be the sole caregiver for someone with that disease.  Today after spending two weeks on the phone making calls, I was able to get her on the waiting list for funding for a nursing home facility.  A social worker has been to their home, and she is currently in adult day care while Kathy works.

It was such a huge victory, because working through the system is a complete and utter nightmare.  I cannot imagine how someone without resources (like a computer and internet, which I completely take for granted), can get any sort of access to care.  And yet the waiting list is long, so obviously someone has figured it out.

We have support from our church and several people there, it's just a matter of calling, filling out zillions of forms, having the doctor fill in forms,  and being persistent.  It has taken a ton of time, research and effort, but to fight for someone who otherwise doesn't have a chance makes my heart sing.  To make headway in such a ridiculous system felt like such a win, even if we have a long ways to go and many obstacles ahead of us.

  

Celebrating the Birthday Guy!
And finally, I was able to put together this wall of card for Adam's 30th Birthday!  I thought having this happiness to come home to would be a great way to celebrate the last night of Adam's 20s.  I had so much fun checking the mail these last several weeks as I waited for friends and family to send birthday cards.  And the mailman delivered!  I love celebrating in a meaningful way, and I think this definitely hits the spot.  Out of the 60+ people I emailed, over half responded, which is a huge win in my book!  Adam's opening up a few at a time and savoring them all.  Each card makes us both smile and laugh.



(Rye is so smart, he showed Adam which card was his, and even wrote out a little message!)

All things considered, it's been a great day, and I hope I can continue to find ways to create days like this in the future.  And to have one of these days at 28, and not after I retire (ha!), is pretty encouraging, wouldn't you say?!

No comments:

Post a Comment