Thursday, August 7, 2014

Our JAX House


Welcome to our house in Jacksonville! We love it, and are so thankful for our little space. It feels like home to us! Here's a little tour, starting with the front living area. It leads out into the "Florida Room" with the French doors. (They're not usually open, but I was trying to let as much sun light in as possible for the photos!)



The sunroom is off the back of the house, and I spend quite a lot of time out there!  It has it's own little A/C unit and a fan, so it cools down quickly.  We have the picnic table & Baylor bench, both of which Adam made out here, plus the big chair and a half from my Aunt Laura. (I wanted that thing forever and don't want to get rid of it)  Adam keeps his bike and trainer out here and rides it sometimes, and we eat dinner out here a lot.  I really love this room!


One of the (many) reasons we loved this house from hearing about it when Austin & Rebecca found it for us was because of the tool shed out back (Adam's very favorite thing) and the huge yard for Rye to run around in.  After being in an apartment for six months, we don't take it for granted!


So back inside, the dining room is to the right when you walk in the front entry, and it connects to the kitchen (doorway on the right of this photo).




This is our Kitchen and breakfast nook. Because we have the dining room table & the picnic table out in the sunroom, I didn't really see a need for another table (plus we didn't have and "extra" laying around!), so I decided it would become more of a mudroom.

There are a few things I'd love to add, but it serves a great purpose for us, and Adam built this great bench to fit right here in this spot.  I love it.  (I also love gallery walls...I think I have three in the house!  Oops.)  Our laundry room is actually in the garage (apparently it's a Florida thing), so it's not usually this "neat" looking over here.  There's usually a basket of laundry coming in or going out.  But it looks good for the pic!


Back out in the living room, there's a hall to the left that has three bedrooms.  The first one is my office, where I spend quite a bit of time working.  (I also work on the couch and in the Sunroom, but this is where I accomplish most of my "professional" work.)  


Rye sits here on the ottoman (like so) and hangs out with me throughout the day.  I love bringing my pup to work every day!  We've really become buddies, and it's so much fun.  I love my office--it's bright and cheery, and a nice place to work.  Each closet in this house has incredible built in shelves.  There is a spot for everything and even extra room.  I love it.


This is my little extra project area, so sometimes I have my sewing machine out or I can scrapbook or wrap gifts here.  It's nice to have a bit empty table like this.  It would be even nicer if I could keep it this clean!


The second bedroom on the left is the guest room/Adam's study.  The walls look kind of bare (compared to the rest of the house!) because when we have guests, we turn the desk to the other wall and shift the bed to the right so you can get around both sides.  I suppose I could put something up, but I just haven't.  So here it is!


Most of Adam's studying on the weekend happens here.  He works really hard during the week not to have to come home and study, so that means maximizing his free time between classes and staying late after school a couple of nights a week.  Generally he gets home about 7 after putting in some more study hours.  He works hard!


And just across the hall is the Master Bedroom.  This is the wall that has our "mushy" and "romantic" stuff...wedding photos, anniversary letters to each other (on the S and A) and a few other momentos.  It makes me smile.


I love this headboard.  It took me looking in thrift shops all summer before my junior year in college to find this, and I did, finally, the week before I moved back to Waco for $35.  It came without the finials on the top, so I used fence post toppers instead.  Somewhere in our last two moves, the left finial got lost, so I am going to have to hunt one down at Home Depot soon!  


These photos took me three different days to take--our house is rarely this neat all at the same time.  And sometimes I just moved laundry baskets behind me so they wouldn't be in the photos!  Ha.  Needless to say, our home is not perfect, by any stretch, but I have tried to make it warm and welcoming for us and for anyone who comes over.  It also doesn't hurt that I have decorator blood and furniture addiction.  :-)

A look back at our previous homes:
JAX: You can see the first photos we saw of the house here.  (A totally empty & blank slate.)
DAL: Our apartment where we lived for six months here.
DAL: Our first & favorite house together in Dallas here.  (We really miss being 5 minutes from White Rock Lake!)  I also just realized in looking through those photos that I've really tried to have less stuff.  (Adam will roll his eyes and beg to differ!)  But the 7 trips I took to Good Will and my "Move no crap" efforts seem to have paid off a bit!  Yay.  I love blogging & looking back.

Thanks for taking our little tour!  Please come visit any time.  We have a guest room and are only 30 minutes from the beach!  :-)




No comments:

Post a Comment