This year, we spent Thanksgiving at the lake! I got off work a bit early and was able to jet on down to the lake by 3:30 p.m. on Wednesday afternoon. I tell you what...those afternoons I can scoot out a little early make the evenings seem so much longer. I love how much more I'm able to fit in in the day!
Adam and Rye joined us later that evening, along with Papa, Jonita, Mark, Laura and Anna. There's something about getting away to this peaceful spot that makes you feel like the world is miles away...

Per tradition, Dad made a huge breakfast and we watched the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. I love it!
Adam worked on Thanksgiving, and a few families were coming to the fire station. So I asked Laura to help me with my hair (I'm not very adept with a curling iron!) and drove about an hour back into Dallas to celebrate Thanksgiving at the Station. I've only been to Adam's current station one other time, so it was a real treat to put names with faces of stories I've heard over the past year and a half. Two other wives were there with their little ones, so it was neat to get to know them a bit.
A trip to the fire station wouldn't be complete without the guys being called out! So off they went, while the ladies stayed back. They were gone for 20 or 30 minutes, so it wasn't too long.
I always enjoy seeing Adam in his element, whether it's at home in Iowa or at the station. I love getting a feel for what his life is like on a regular basis. I really couldn't ask for a better group of guys for Adam to be around. They're funny, kind to each other, and you can tell there is a good camaraderie between them. When you're there as much as he is, it makes going to work a lot better!
After an amazing meal of smoked turkey, 11 billion sides, and two decadent desserts, I practically rolled myself out to the car--but not before we got some pics with the fire engine! The light was perfect, and the photographer was quick and quite good, so we ended up with a really good photo and some really hilarious outtakes. I'll save that for the end of this post. :-) But all that to say, not knowing what 2014 holds in terms of school, I will forever treasure these photos that signify this stage in our lives.
I returned back to the lake to find my family playing games and cackling up a storm. I watched and took photos--the perch I prefer best. :-)

And I'll leave you with this goofy picture. I think it sums us up pretty well.

No comments:
Post a Comment