And I said YES!
I've gotten several requests for a blog post about our proposal, and now it's 3 a.m. and I can't sleep. Things have calmed down just a smidge, and so I thought I'd go ahead and share our story.
I mentioned in an earlier post that Sunday was our one year anniversary. We got back from camping with friends and hung out together. We ate at Chili's and danced to music in Adam's garage. It was a special day for us, and we were really happy. Adam told me he was planning something special for Monday, to really celebrate. I didn't think anything of it. He's a great planner, very thoughtful and quite romantic.
Monday rolled around and I left the office, and a few girls said, "Text me if he proposes!" I laughed and confidently informed them that it would be a while before he proposed. Ha.
We ran Monday after I got there, and then we were going to head to the Arboretum, but he discovered right before I got to his apartment that they close at 5, so his original plan to picnic there wasn't going to work. Adam devised Plan B on the fly, and after I got cleaned up from running, I walked out to his balcony set like this...
We had sandwiches on french bread, fruit, champagne and Sprinkles Cupcakes (yum!). On the cupcake box, AMP wrote, "To My Best Friend. I love you, Shay Bear!" Adam's really sweet, in case you missed that ;-), and so this was really special, but nothing in my mind said he was going to propose.
We ate out there and listened to music and just talked and laughed, as usual.
We drank a little champagne to celebrate dating one year (and one day...), and then Adam asked if I wanted to go for a walk. I love the lake, and it was a beautiful night out. His apartment backs right up to the water, pretty much, and we've spent a lot of time out there in the last year.
We headed over towards this tree, where we'd hung out once before. We'd been waiting to see the results of the 5k we'd run, and Adam placed in his age group. I remember that he climbed this tree and acted goofy, as usual. So this was no ordinary tree!
As we walked that direction on Monday evening, the sun had set and there was barely any light left, except for the baseball field lights nearby. We walked and talked about the future and what that might look like together. This was not out of the ordinary, either, as we'd been talking like that more often lately.
We sat on those little white steps under the tree for a while and talked some more, and then he got up and led me under the big branch that dips down. Adam told me the week before that I was his best friend, which had made me cry happy little tears. All of a sudden he was telling me that again, but as he did this, he got down on one knee and asked me to be his best friend for life.
I. Was. Shocked. I had no idea. I said, "Wha...?? Are you kidding me??"
I cried and we hugged and laughed. I really lost it when he said, "Oh by the way, it's cool with your parents. I had lunch with your Dad." At that point I just sat down. We sat there for about an hour and a half and just kind of soaked it all in. Adam prayed for us, and we kept saying things like...
"We're getting married."
"Adam asked me to marry him."
"Shay will be Adam's wife."
Seriously, it took a while to sink in!
This was when we got back inside and took a pic to remember. And here's where it gets kind of funny. Adam really wanted the proposal to be a surprise, and he also wanted my input in picking out the ring, but he didn't want to take me ring shopping and then have the surprise ruined. Makes sense.
He proposed late Monday night and worked Tuesday, so the first opportunity to shop for a ring would be Wednesday. I wanted to wait until I had a ring to tell people, because I knew that's the first thing they'd ask to see. Adam told his parents Monday night, but other than that, we kept it a secret until Wednesday.
It was the hardest secret to keep! But it was also neat because we got to soak it in and share it, just the two of us.
Adam told me to do my homework and have some ideas of what I wanted. (This was not a problem!) So we met after work and I walked in with a list of three rings that I wanted to see in person. I tried on about 10 or so, and kept coming back to this one. I love it!
Within an hour, we'd decided on this one. Adam told me later that he thought we'd be there 'til they closed. Nope...I know what I like! :-) Then they told me that I'd have to wait until the following week to get the ring. I was bummed.
I tried really hard to be a big girl about it, and Adam went back to talk to the guy about getting it sooner. They said it wasn't possible. So we went to dinner at the Galleria and walked through Nordstrom and Pottery Barn (woohoo!).
I took Adam back to his car at the jewelry store, and he planned to meet me back at my apartment. He was about 15 minutes behind me, and when he got inside, within one minute, he was down on his knee again, but he pulled a ring out of his pocket and asked me to marry him again! I squealed this time! He'd been able to talk the guy into having it ready for us Wednesday night.
I started texting my parents to figure out where they were. I really wanted us to go together and tell them in person. Turns out my dad had a conference at a hotel in Las Colinas, so they were staying there.
I had to call my mom who was up in Frisco, and Adam has me telling her on video. It's funny. I didn't know how else to get her to the hotel! So we made plans to meet in the lobby and she would get my dad down there.
My Dad met us down in the lobby, and it didn't take long for me to tell him!
It turned out to be a really fun way to share our news, and the night was very celebratory! We ordered some food and drinks, Adam told the story (which I loved to hear him tell it!), and then I started making phone calls.
Bless his heart! He had to go to work the next morning, too, but he was such a trooper and so sweet as I sat there and dialed away.
We sat there for a couple of hours. First we called Troy. He was speechless.
I'll have to do a whole post on everyone's reactions. Anna was the most excited for us, so that's to say that she was SUPER excited, because everyone we talked to was thrilled for us! Some were more surprised than others. :-) It was so much fun, and such a relief to finally be telling people!
I love this picture Adam took. My parents were both taking pics of my ring with their phones. I just love the look my mom has on her face!
We're getting married!
I slept about two hours that night, because I was so excited and because my phone was ringing/texting off the hook. Adam asked me to marry him again (for a third time) on Facebook, and it has been unreal all the attention we've been getting. Kind of overwhelming at times, but when that happens I just sit back and remember that I get to spend the rest of my life with Adam, and at the end of the day, that's the most important part!
We are so excited and are looking at dates in the Fall. I'm still pinching myself to make sure this is for real. It is!
We have the sweetest family and friends, and it's been so much fun sharing this special time with them. Adam, thanks for making this the most memorable week of my life. I love you so very much!
So excited for you two Shay!!! Enjoy every minute!
ReplyDeleteYay! I have been waiting for this post. :) So excited for you friend!
ReplyDeleteFinally! Not on the proposal, but on the post!!!! I might be coming back in the fall with the kids {September-ish}, so it would be sooooooooooo amazing if I could come!! {assuming I'm invited...I guess I am since I'm the official flower girl, after all...}
ReplyDeleteCongrats and enjoy the months ahead!
ReplyDelete