Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Tour of Texas: Complete

I-35 has been my best friend this past month.  Seriously...Waco, Austin, and then San Antonio.  All in two and a half weeks.  (Thankfully I did get to fly to San Antonio!)

At work, I've turned into event-coordinator extraordinnaire.  Ok, maybe that's a stretch, but I have learned a TON about putting together events recently.

In many cities, we have a Signature Chefs Auction, and since San Antonio was short-staffed this year, I got to help out quite a bit, and I really enjoyed it.  The best part was definitely seeing it all come together Sunday night.


This was the ballroom at the Westin's Hotel La Contessa.  We had twelve chefs come in from fabulous area restaurants and put together a sample dish to try.  There were so many wonderful things to eat!  Each chef had a banner with their name and photo hanging above their station.  

There was also a silent auction going on during the first part of the evening when everyone was milling around eating.  I worked with another girl all weekend on putting those 50 baskets together.  It was so much work.  And (in my opinion) way more work than what we made that night on that part of the auction.  But hey, now I know!  


The theme for the evening was "Farm to Market," and it really worked well.  There were baskets of veggies, lanterns on the tables, and this black board to showcase the six auction items on the Big Board.  People would hang a piece of paper with their bid number and dollar amount below the words.  I got to write on the board that was painted with chalkboard paint.  I had to laugh, because it reminded me of playing school, and here I was getting to write on a chalkboard again!  


Perhaps the best part of this weekend was getting to stay at the Hotel La Conterrra.  Oh my goodness.  Amazing!  Ignore my reflection in the mirror...I had this vanity to sit at and fix my hair makeup every morning and sleep in a fluffy bed with lots of pillows.  There was also a Starbucks in the lobby, and I went every morning.  (Now I've got to break that habit...it was easier to justify when work was paying for my meals!)  The last morning, they said, "Welcome back!"  I thought I might be in for a rude awakening this morning, haha.

I left Thursday morning and came back Monday afternoon.  It was a long time to be gone, but I really did enjoy working on this event.  It's nice to know what all goes into planning this event, since we do so many of them around the state.  Dallas had theirs a couple of weeks ago, but it's totally a different feeling when you're on the inside and you know what's going on.  We had a lot of vested interest in this event because it took such a team effort to pull it off.  

Since I worked all weekend, it was really hard for me to remember what day it was.  I know weekends are wonderful, but I really appreciate them now since I didn't get one!  


I spent this afternoon regrouping at home.  I finally got my office organized, and you can see the top of my desk...two bags of recycling later.  It's a miracle.  Now I won't have to sit on the floor to do a project, haha.  I'm going to work on keeping in clean.  Usually it doesn't last too long, but maybe I can make that a goal for my 24th year.  :-) 


No comments:

Post a Comment